Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mustard Greens

Photo by Jill Richards
True confession: when mustard greens arrive in my CSA bounty, I tend to sigh and slump. They have such a strong bite that I am constantly searching for some recipe that will balance out the bitter-spice so my family--OK, so I--can stand to eat them. But there's been a shift at our house this week.

I love mustard greens. I'm still in awe that I actually wrote those words, but thanks to a Chattanooga's own Storier, who happens to be part of my CSA community, I say and write these words easily. He turned it all around for our house. AND he shared the recipe in language I understand--little bit of this, little bit of that until it tastes good to you!

So this recipe is shared from a place of deep gratitude as I pass the love on to you.

Ingredients
1-2 cloves garlic
Handful of pecans
Multiple mustard green leaves, washed and removed from stems
olive oil
sea salt

Directions
  1. Place garlic and pecans in bowl of food processor and process until finely chopped.
  2. Add mustard greens and chop some more.
  3. While the blade is running, add olive oil to help things stick together.
  4. Scrape down the sides, add some salt, and process a little more adding olive oil as needed to help stick things together.
  5. Taste and adjust with a few more pecans, oil, or salt.
  6. Serve with pasta (or on crackers/bread/chips/carrots/whatever is closest).
  7. Tell all your friends you love mustard greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment