Monday, January 24, 2011

Savory Sweet Sensation

I'm into roasting things this time of year, if for no other reason than to keep the kitchen warm. I'm roasting sweet potatoes, beets, turnips, sometimes carrots, but especially onions. It continues to amaze me how sweet they taste when they're roasted in a little oil and salt. They're like candy.

Seriously.

I'm still coming down from all the sugar indulgence* over the holidays, and adding in sweet vegetables is helping. Onions are my sweet vegetable of choice these days. Here's what I do:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Chop onion into largish chunks.
  3. Drizzle with oil (I use Grapeseed).
  4. Sprinkle with sea salt.
  5. Roast until caramelized (sometimes I let them get a little "burned").
  6. Roast alone or with other sweet veggies and enjoy dessert with your main meal!
*I didn't get an official count, but I think I ended up with somewhere around 12 chocolate bars in my house--majority dark chocolate, which is a great choice, but 12 candy bars? Really? Right now, I wish it had been 12 bags of onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment