Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Leftover Cold Quinoa Salad

I love when I have things on hand that go together beautifully and make a tasty, satisfying meal. It happened today. By chopping, dicing, and throwing a few things in a bowl I made a scrumptious quinoa salad we'll be enjoying for a few days.

Because it was a little willy-nilly and not-necessarily-exact measurements (except for the dressing), I'll just list the ingredients. Try it with what you've got in your house. You'll be surprised at how yummy it can be!

Mix dressing first by putting the following in a jar with tight fitting lid and shaking it with all your might.

3 T Rice Vinegar
1 T Ume Plum Vinegar (the secret ingredient, I think)
2 T Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Finely ground black pepper to taste

Let dressing sit while combining the following in a bowl:

2-3 cups cooked quinoa
1 carrot, chopped
leftover cooked greens (I used collards), finely chopped
some red onion, finely chopped
some almond slivers
some dried cranberries
about a cup of edamame beans

Shake the dressing with all your might, taste and see what you'd like to add (oil, more pepper?), adjust, shake it up one last time before pouring over quinoa. Toss it, add sea salt to taste, and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That's what I love about quinoa. You can just throw veggies in a bowl, mix it with cooked quinoa and voila. You have a great salad.
    BTW thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, we love cold quinoa salad in my house. I keep cold quinoa in the refrigerator for mixing into impromptu salads all the time. Quinoa goes with everything.

    @keenonquinoa

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to connect with other quinoa lovers!

    ReplyDelete