Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sunchokes (aka Jerusalem Artichokes)

The first time I ever saw one of these, I thought it was ginger root. That's what it looks like to me, but it sure doesn't taste like ginger! This versatile little tuber is a delightful addition to my kitchen. A reminder of the joy of new foods I encounter through my CSA provided by the wonderful folks at Crabtree Farms.

A member of the sunflower family (who would have guessed that one?), sunchokes are native to North America, and once they were introduced to pilgrims by the Native Americans, they became a staple to the settlers diet. They are high in potassium and low in calories. It's a little bit tender, so take care to wash it gently with a brush, but unlike ginger, there's no need to peel it. Wash, slice, and eat.

The flavor is mild, so you can add it to anything or enjoy it all alone. So far, we've eaten it raw on a salad, sauteed (with onions, garlic, carrots, shiitake mushrooms, edamame, and fresh tarragon served over quinoa), roasted with sweet potatoes, and in a stir fry. 

This new veggie is a welcome addition to my kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment