Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sweet!

I miss greens. Don't get me wrong, I'm still eating them, but the ones I get these days come from the grocery, rather than my CSA or a local market. And it's mostly salad greens. It's been too hot to stir any desire to cook them, but this week, the weather is turning. I actually slept with the window open 2 nights in a row. Fall is on the way, which means the cooking greens are coming. And as if my longing was being heard by the gracious folks growing my food at Crabtree Farms, we got a sweet surprise in our CSA box yesterday: sweet potato greens!

I had no idea they were edible, much less super tasty. I put an egg in the skillet this morning and added these greens with salt and pepper, sat myself outside for breakfast and decided if I could do this everyday, I would be a better person.

The greens are very similar to spinach--rinse them in a salad spinner (I tried soaking, but that didn't go over so well) and put them in a skillet with some garlic and onion. They actually taste better than spinach to me--no bitter flavor at all and the "furry teeth" I usually feel after getting too many spinach leaves is not an issue.

So, find a friend who grows sweet potatoes or grow your own or find them at an Asian market or local farmer's market and give these babies a go. They're sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment